| 'Get Ready' PR Plan Wins Awards |
The University of St. Thomas Office of Marketing Communications won a Silver award for Total PR Program for the emergency preparedness campaign “Get Ready, Already!” in the 2013 Educational Advertising Awards from Higher Education Marketing. In November, UST also won a Gold Award for the campaign from the MarCom Awards.
Marketing Communications, in conjunction with the Office of Emergency & Safety Services, launched the campaign "Get Ready, Already!" on Aug. 20, 2012 to create awareness among students, staff and faculty members about emergency management issues and procedures.
The campaign featured Dane G. Ross, a dubious character who personifies disaster and personal safety situations that could happen at any time. The campaign was a call to action for the campus community to “Be Aware, Be Prepared and Take Action!” The PR campaign included:
- A website, stthom.edu/ready, for the St. Thomas community
with resources on inclement weather, campus and personal
safety and suspicious situations.
- Series of four videos with Dane G. Ross
- Nine training presentation to faculty, staff and students
- Outdoor banners and posters
- Life-size cardboard cutouts of Dane G. Ross
- Custom refrigerator magnets and fire extinguisher stress balls
- Training materials such as an 18-page resource guide for faculty and staff, syllabus insert, and pocket guides in English and Spanish
- Stories about speakers and events
- Social media posts to create safety awareness
The 28th Annual Educational Advertising Awards, sponsored by the Higher Education Marketing Report, is the largest educational advertising awards competition in the country. UST received 10 awards out of 3,000 total entries to the contest from more than 1,000 schools.
The MarCom Awards included more than 6,000 entries across categories and is administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals.