BOA Grant Advances Nursing Center
The care of the whole person – body, mind and spirit – is important, especially in nursing. The School of Nursing at the University of St. Thomas focuses on patient-centered nursing using a curriculum based on a construct of healing and wholeness. Bank of America is helping the School of Nursing produce caring nurses who will partner with patients to facilitate the healing process.
The St. Thomas Nursing Success Center, 1200 Colquitt St., with the mission to help students reach their academic goals by providing educational enhancement services in a friendly “home-like” environment, has received a $20,000 grant from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation. The grant will ensure its diverse nursing students graduate with greatly needed Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees and long-term employment in nursing careers in Houston.
“The UST School of Nursing is Houston’s only Catholic nursing program and is based on a holistic approach to nursing,” Dr. Poldi Tschirch, dean of Nursing, said. “Each year, only 40 students are accepted into the program, ensuring one-on-one, individualized instruction.”
The grant will support the following NSC programs and services:
- Peer-Facilitated Study Group Program: NSC organizes group study sessions for undergraduate students enrolled in pre-nursing and nursing courses at UST. The groups are facilitated by students who have already successfully completed the course.
- NSC Freshman Program: NSC provides freshmen interested in the nursing program with support during their first-year transition from high school to college. Support services include referral to campus services, such as tutorial, counseling and student activities, social activities at the Center and monthly group meetings to effectively monitor student progress.
- Peer Mentoring Program: The Peer Mentoring Program is designed to assist new students in their social, personal and academic transition to college by pairing incoming students with junior or senior students.
- Academic Advising Program: NSC is committed to advising students from an early phase of the admissions process and continuing until students graduate with the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Nursing Program: Students admitted to the UST Nursing Program will receive additional academic support in nursing courses from peers, faculty and web-based tutoring, including National Council Licensure Examination test preparation.
- Welcome New Student Orientation: A fall semester event to welcome new pre-nursing students to UST and introduce the School of Nursing staff and faculty to the new students on campus.
- Academic and Career Workshops: NSC hosts monthly workshops in study skills techniques and information on nursing careers.
- Technological Resources: NSC organizes web-based tutorials and the Tech Loaner Program, which allows students to borrow in-house iPads and laptops.
- Monthly Social Events: NSC organizes movie nights, barbecue parties and lunch with faculty and staff members.
- Clubs and Organizations: NSC staff works closely with the Nursing Student Association to support pre-nursing and nursing students.
- NSC Student Advisory Board: This is an opportunity for selected students to have monthly meetings with the leaders at the UST School of Nursing to provide feedback on NSC activities and the nursing program.
“Bank of America serves the Houston community through lending, investing and philanthropic giving as a way to help advance the local economic recovery,” said Kim Ruth, Houston market and Texas president of Bank of America. “By supporting exemplary programs like the St. Thomas Nursing Success Center, critical needs of the community can be met and help raise the quality of life for so many in need.”
The University of St. Thomas, dedicated to educating leaders of faith and character, is a private institution committed to the liberal arts and to the religious, ethical and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education. St. Thomas is Houston’s only Catholic University and was founded by the Basilian Fathers. “Like” us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, @stthomashouston.
About Bank of America Corporate Social Responsibility
Bank of America’s commitment to corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a strategic part of doing business globally. Our CSR efforts guide how we operate in a socially, economically, financially and environmentally responsible way across more than 100 markets around the world, to deliver for shareholders, customers, clients and employees. Our goal is to help create economically vibrant regions and communities through lending, investing and giving. By partnering with our stakeholders, we create shared value that empowers individuals and communities to thrive and contributes to the long-term success of our business. We have several core areas of focus for our CSR, including responsible business practices; environmental sustainability; strengthening local communities with a focus on housing, hunger and jobs; investing in global leadership development; and engaging through arts and culture. Reaffirming a commitment to develop and sustain a culture of service, bank employee volunteers contributed more than 1.5 million hours in 2011 to enhance the quality of life in their communities worldwide. Learn more at www.bankofamerica.com/opportunity and follow us on Twitter at @BofA_Community.
Pictured (left to right):
Photo One: Dorca Medina Boney
Photo Two: Barbra Ward, Falon Hopkins, Amalia Torres, Virginia Bean, Laura Love