Before you Go Abroad
Websites for Information About Travel and Tips Abroad
Students might find the following links helpful in preparation for a study abroad experience. Please note that UST procedures and restrictions take precedence in cases of conflicting information.

A great feature IIE has to offer is, which is your single stop for study abroad financial aid opportunities and information. Search for financial aid by country, subject or specific personal preferences. You will also find numerous helpful articles on study abroad funding, as well as study abroad financial aid links.

Advisors are always concerned about student safety during study abroad programs. That's why IEE has written “Study Abroad Safety Tips for Female Students.” While the focus is on how female students can play it safe overseas, the article covers many safety tips for all study abroad students.

To Enter the Country


This essential item can be obtained by filling out an application at certain post offices. Call the different locations nearest to you to find out if they are an authorized location. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of State website. Please allow 60 days for processing!


(Foreign Students only) You should check with local consulates to find out if a visa is required for entry, study or for a stay beyond a given period of time.

To Function in the Country


Contact your bank to see if they have a partnership with any banks your destination country and to make sure your bank is aware that you may use your bank card in the destination country.  It is good idea to convert some U.S. dollars into the currency of the destination country. Credit cards are useful, especially for emergencies. Be careful about changing money, many places take advantage of tourists and charge a great deal of commission or give a horribly low exchange rate. Shop around to get the best deal. ATM Cards (Cirrus and Pulse) will provide your best exchange rate.

There are several options you can check into prior to your departure.  Here are 3:

  1. Thomas Cook has a convenient option.
  2. Texas Currency Exchange has a branch in Houston where you can convert some money prior to departure.
  3. Travelex Currency Services located in the Galleria.


The International Student Identification Card is the only student ID that is recognized in other countries. It is very valuable. To obtain an ISIC card, go to the Travel Center at University of Houston or the STA Travel at 2401 Times Blvd., Suite 110, Houston, TX 77005. Their phone number is 713-524-9910. Take two passport photos with you. 

Calling Card

Using your cell phone internationally can be quite expensive. Since calling internationally can also be very difficult, calling cards can be purchased in the country/countries you will be visiting. There is an 800 number on the calling card that will walk you through the easy-to-understand instructions in English.

Traveling in the Country


Railroad passes offer a great deal of flexibility and a wonderful way to see Europe. Please visit EURAIL PASS to find more information.

Youth Hostel Card

With a youth hostel card, you can stay in hostels while you are touring other parts of the country. Hostels are a relatively inexpensive, good way to meet other traveling students. Don't miss out on your traveling experience because you are not prepared. Having this card in advance will be beneficial and make your stay more exciting.


Through the network of International Studies faculty and alumni, Center for International Studies students have access to numerous internship opportunities.

Learn more


Distinguished Diplomat

Distinguished Diplomat  

A lecture series to promote and deepen understanding of the U.S. Foreign Service and the profound skills Foreign Service Officers bring to the art of diplomacy.



Support the Center

Support the Center  

The Center for International Studies is Houston’s oldest degree-granting center of international higher learning. There are many opportunities to support the Center.

Learn more


Center for International Studies Before you Go Abroad
Center for International Studies
Established in 1981, the Center for International Studies is Houston's oldest degree-granting center of international higher learning. International Studies prepares students for careers in international business, law, politics and public service. In addition, the Center promotes understanding of international relations, cultural differences and the benefits that come from cooperation within the human family.
Contact Us
  Mailing Address:
University of St. Thomas
Center for International Studies
3800 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006

Physical Address:
Center for International Studies
Tiller Hall
4121 Yoakum Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006

Toll Free: 713-525-3872
Follow Us
CBE Facebook
Contact Us
  University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose
Houston, Texas 77006-4626

Follow Us


Copyright © 2014 University of St. Thomas.
All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Clery Act | Title IX | Employment