|UST welcomes all international students to our warm and welcoming community. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions processes all international undergraduate students. In order for your application to be considered complete, please submit the documents listed below. All items should arrive at the Office of Admissions at least 60 days prior to the first day of the semester.
In some cases, processing a visa can take longer than 30 days. For that reason you should begin your application process as early as possible. If you have questions regarding the requirements listed below, do not hesitate to contact your Admissions Counselor.
Download the International Student Checklist for information on admissions and immigration requirements.
International Student Requirements
Students must have earned the equivalent of a high school diploma. Students who have attended high school outside of the U.S. must submit an official course-by-course transcript that has been evaluated by an accredited agency. These evaluation agencies can convert your high school grades and/or international college credits to the American 4.0 grade point average (GPA) scale. They also can provide a translation into English, if necessary.
* This is not a comprehensive list. If you have questions about an agency not listed, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Minimum Requirement for Freshmen: 2.8 GPA (4.0 scale)
Students transferring from another U.S. college or university must submit all official transcripts from every university previously attended to the Office of Admission. More information on transfer credit is available on the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide.
Minimum Requirement for Transfer Students: 2.5 GPA (4.0 scale)
*If you have completed less than 24 transferable credit hours, freshman admission requirements also apply.
Proof of English Proficiency
In lieu of ACT/SAT scores, official TOEFL score (or completion of Level 112 through ELS Language Center) may be submitted if first language is not English. SAT scores are strongly encouraged. UST TOEFL CODE is 6880.
Minimum Language Requirements:
- TOEFL: 79 if Internet-based
- IELTS: 6.5
- PTE: 53
- SAT: 1070 (Critical Reading and Math)
- ACT: 23 (Composite Score)
Transfer students who have completed English I and II and have earned 24 hours or more of transferable credit hours at a U.S.-accredited institution are exempt from the English proficiency requirement.
F-1 students must also submit the following:
- Undergraduate Affidavit of Financial Support Form must be submitted along with a bank statement in U.S. dollars. The amount must meet the cost of attendance: $38,828.00 (if students reside on campus) or $40,066.00 (if students reside off campus).
- SEVIS Transfer Form: Students transferring to the University of St. Thomas from another U.S. college or university must contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to receive this document.
- Copy of Passport.
For more information on how to obtain your visa status, please visit the Office for International Student Services.