|Scholarship opportunities for students seeking nursing careers are listed below. When seeking information about these scholarships, you will need to clarify that you are seeking financial assistance for studies in a program of nursing.
The Barbara Rhomberg Excellence in Nursing Scholarship
Applications are not accepted prior to July 1st, 2014. All applications must be postmarked by August 31st, 2014. Scholarship awards will be announced on September 30th, 2014.
The Foundation of the National Student Nurses Association(FNSNA)
The Foundation of the National Student Nurses Association (FNSNA) was created in 1969 to honor Frances Tompkins, the Association's first executive director. Organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, the Foundation awards scholarships to qualified nursing students.
National Student Nurses' Association
45 Main Street, Suite 606
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Good Samaritan Foundation
The Good Samaritan Foundation provides varying amounts of scholarship awards each term for undergraduate and graduate students. In order to qualify for this scholarship, students must be a U.S. citizen or have a current, valid work permit. Applicants are required to be a resident of Texas and accepted into, or have an application pending to, a nursing education program approved by the Texas Board of Nursing. Lastly applicants must be currently working or planning to work following graduation in the Texas healthcare system. Scholarship applications are available online and may be submitted by email or regular mail.
Good Samaritan Scholars Program
3355 W Alabama Street, Suite 1025
Houston, TX 77098-1867
Good Samaritan Foundation Scholarship website
Harris County Medical Alliance Society
Harris County Medical Alliance Society scholarships were established in 1946 and have been one of the main beneficiaries from funds raised through various fundraising events. Nursing scholarships shall be given to candidates in either Bachelor of Science and/or Associate Degree nursing programs in accredited schools of nursing in Harris County. The candidates are selected by the HCMSA Nursing Scholarship Committee and approved by the Directors of Nursing of each school. The sum awarded shall be sent to the financial departments of the designated schools, deposited in the recipient’s name and disbursed to the student as needed for nursing school- related expenses. The HCMAS scholarship application may be downloaded on the HCMSA’s website.
Healthcare and Nursing Education Foundation
The Healthcare and Nursing Education Foundation (HNEF) offers academic scholarships to qualified students who require financial assistance and demonstrate the desire and ability to pursue a professional nursing education in the greater Houston community. The scholarship provides financial support for studies toward a bachelor’s or advanced nursing degree.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the student must meet the following selection criteria:
- Have a household income of less than $50,000.
- Express a sincere desire to pursue actively a professional career in nursing.
- If currently a high school senior graduating in the next 12 months, take the SAT or ACT exam prior to submitting an application.
- If currently enrolled in a college or university, provide documentation of current academic standing and courses taken that are prerequisites for entrance into an accredited bachelor’s or advanced nursing program.
- If anticipating entrance into bachelor’s or advanced degree nursing program, provide documentation of acceptance into a college or university in the greater Houston area.
- Not be related by degree of consanguinity (child, grandchild or niece/nephew) to a member of the HNEF Board of Directors, an employee or a contractor.
Scholarship Coordinator Andrea Green
Healthcare and Nursing Education Foundationâ€¨
3815 Montrose, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77006
Hispanic Nurses Association
The Hispanic Nurses Association – Houston Chapter provides scholarships as one-time awards. Scholarships are awarded once a year beginning in the fall semester and are based on academic achievement, financial need, involvement in school and community activities and counselor/teacher recommendations.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
Applicants must be enrolled in a practical/vocational, associate, diploma, baccalaureate, master’s or doctorate nursing program, or have a letter of acceptance to a nursing program. Membership with the National Association of Hispanic Nurses is required. Students must demonstrate financial need and commit to participate in NAHN – Houston Chapter meetings and activities.
National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) – Houston Chapter
P.O. Box 355
Tomball, TX 77377-0355
Send the completed application to this address:
4124 Fairmont Parkway
Pasadena, TX 77504
National Black Nurses’ Association (NBNA)
When funds are available, the Black Nurses’ Association offers scholarship on a one-time basis. Requirements for consideration are:
- Enrollment in the clinical portion of the program and be in good standing at the time of application.
- GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale.
- Present three letters of recommendation (one faculty member, a member of the community and an RN or LVN active in BNA).
- Active membership in BNA for six months to one year with local dues current at the time of application.
Inquiries should be directed to:
Scholarship Committee/Estella A. Lazenby
8630 Fenton Street, Suite 330
Silver Spring, MD 20910
NBNA Scholarship web page
Oncology Nursing Society
As funds are available, the Houston Chapter of the Oncology Nursing Society awards scholarships for students expressing interest in oncology nursing. The criteria for selection are as follows:
- Graduate students only.
- GPA greater than 2.5 on 4.0 scale.
- Be within one year of graduation.
- Provide two nursing faculty recommendations.
- Express interest or demonstrate clinical practice in oncology.
- Submit application by mid-March deadline.
Texas Nurses Association
District 9 of the Texas Nurses Association (TNA) offers scholarships for undergraduate and graduate nursing education. A committee of educators and researchers selects recipients by blind review.
Applications for the scholarships may be obtained from:
TNA, District 9
2370 Rice Boulevard, Suite 109
Houston, TX 77005
Johnson & Johnson has a website dedicated to nursing scholarships. Please visit their webpage to search for outside scholarship opportunities. Over 360 nursing scholarships are available and listed in their database.