We are so excited that your son or daughter will be staying with us this summer! Founded in 1947, the University of St. Thomas is the Catholic University in the heart of Houston. As a comprehensive university grounded in the liberal arts, we educate students to think critically, communicate effectively, succeed professionally, and lead ethically. In Guinan Hall, a strong sense of belonging and community fosters lifelong friendships. We are excited that your son or daughter will be able to be a part of our community this summer and we look forward to their arrival.
As we house your son or daughter this summer, his or her safety is our primary concern. For this reason, we have the following policies in place:
- Your son or daughter will be permitted guests during their stay at Guinan Hall. If you wish for them to not have this ability, please contact the head of your conference.
- All guests (individuals not being housed in Guinan, including parents) should contact the resident directly before arrival to be escorted into the building, sign in at the front desk upon entry, and sign out upon exiting. Guests must provide a valid state ID.
- For safety reasons, we require that in order for a minor to sign in a guest, one of the chaperones supervising their conference must be present and approve the guest.
- Guests are permitted from 8:00 am – midnight, Sunday-Thursday, and from 8:00 am – 2:00am Friday – Saturday. If the conference that your student is with mandates a curfew, all guests must be signed out by that curfew time. Students staying in conference housing are not permitted overnight guests.
- Wireless internet is available in the lobby of Guinan. If you wish, your son or daughter may bring a laptop and utilize it in the lobby or use an Ethernet cable (not provided) to access the Internet from his or her room.
- There is a computer lab on the first floor of Guinan. However, for safety reasons, minors are permitted into the computer lab only with a chaperone present.
We want your son or daughter’s stay in Guinan Hall this summer to be a pleasant one. As you prepare for arrival, we wanted to give you some information regarding checking into and out of Guinan Hall:
Check-in and Check-Out:
- Guest policies remain in place on the dates of check-in and check-out. However, in order to make entering and exiting the building easier, there will be a nametags provided for parents and family helping with check-in or check-out. We ask that all guests stop by the front desk the first time they enter the building in order to sign in. At that time, a nametag will be provided for you to wear for the duration of the day. When you are finished helping your son or daughter check-in or check-out, stop by the front desk to turn in your nametag and receive your state ID back.
- You may park on the street for free, but please be careful to obey all traffic signs. The University is not liable for any tickets received. You may also park in the Moran Parking Garage for $2 every time you exit. The machine takes $1 or $5 bills as well as quarters. You do not need to get a ticket upon entrance, you simply pay at the machine when you leave.
Once again, we are excited to have your son or daughter staying in Guinan Hall this summer. We hope that they have a pleasant and productive stay on campus. If you have any questions or concerns regarding their stay, please feel free to contact your conference head.
Conference Housing Staff