Secure the immediate area:
- Lock and barricade doors
- Turn off lights
- Close blinds
- Block windows
- Turn off radios and computer monitors
- Keep occupants calm, quiet and out of sight
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover and protection, Silence cell phones
- Use Emergency 911
- 713-525-3888 Non-Emergency
- Be aware that the 911 system will likely be overwhelmed. Program the UST non-emergency line 713-525-3888 into your cell phone for emergency use or consider email.
Un-securing an area:
- Consider risks before un-securing rooms
- Remember, the shooter may not stop until they are engaged by an outside force
- Attempts to rescue people should only be attempted if it can be accomplished without further endangering the persons inside a secured area
- Consider the safety of masses vs. the safety of a few
- If doubt exists for the safety of the individuals inside the room, the area should remain secured.
What to Report:
- Your specific location/building name and office/room number
- Number of people at your specific location
- Injuries and the number of injured, types of injuries
- Assailants(s) location, number of suspects, race and gender, clothing description, physical features, types of weapons, backpack, shooter identity if known, separate explosions from gunfire, etc.