The Council of Clubs’ members base their decision to recognize a new club on the demonstrated need for the organization at the University.
Step-by-Step Guide for Organization Recognition
- Meet with the Assistant Director of Student Activities and/or COC Chair to discuss the proposed organization and its purpose, as well as to answer questions about the recognition process.
- Present to the COC Chair a packet of information containing the following items:
- A constitution or governing statement (see Writing and Updating Your Constitution in the COC Handbook)
- A roster of a minimum of 10 interested persons containing their name, @stthom e-mail address, and contact number
- A list of potential officers
- Name and contact information for the potential organization advisor
- The packet of information will be reviewed, and the Chair will enter the proposal onto the agenda for the next regularly scheduled COC meeting.
- The petitioning organization’s leadership must attend the COC meeting and make a presentation for recognition by the Board of Directors. The advisor must attend this meeting or send a letter representing his or her support of the petitioning organization.
- After deliberation among the Board of Directors, a motion to adopt a resolution of approval or disapproval of the application will be made and passed by a two-thirds vote.
- Upon approval, the aforementioned organization is eligible for all the benefits of membership.
- If the application for membership is not approved, the petitioning organization may re-apply the following semester.
After initial recognition, the organization must follow all procedures listed under the Registration & Annual Renewal section in the COC Handbook.