|Mendenhall Summer Institute|
As you get ready to begin your college career at the University of St. Thomas, consider starting early in our summer program – the Mendenhall Summer Institute.
The Mendenhall Summer Institute is a five-week program that starts on July 6 and ends on August 6 for incoming freshmen with proven academic abilities and involvement in co-curricular activities.
This program allows students to start their college career early, in addition to having an opportunity to earn a grant for tuition at UST.
We are currently accepting applications for this program
The Mendenhall Summer Institute has two separate tracks of study, each with 6 hours of college credit:
- Creating Engaged Learners & Thinkers (CELT) - CELT students receive challenging foundational courses in mathematics and English to prepare for college level critical thinking. This track will also introduce the rigor and rewards of a liberal arts education.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) – STEM is specifically focused on mathematics and scientific methods, and is designed for science, mathematics or engineering majors. Students with a strong initial commitment to these majors will receive course and lab experience to enhance their mathematical and problem solving skills that will lead to greater achievement in STEM specific courses.
A limited number of students selected from the Institute will receive a grant towards UST tuition. A selection committee chooses recipients first based on their financial need and then their performance in the program. Students must fill out a FAFSA to be considered for the grant.
Support Outside the Classroom
The Institute will provide the skill building necessary to prepare students for the UST core curriculum and college learning. Students will participate in workshops in college success, learning and information literacy skills, regardless of track. Social activities will be provided to further enhance community building among all Institute students.
Who is Eligible?
Any freshman student who has been admitted to UST for the fall semester can request admission to the program.
Ideal candidates will:
- Be admitted to the University of St. Thomas as an incoming freshman for the fall semester.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov.
Costs and Dates
The nominal student fee of $775 for students living off campus covers course instruction, testing materials and daily lunch. Student's interested in living on campus should refere to the program cost in the Housing section. Some limited financial aid is available to offset these costs. Text books are not included in the above price, but are esimated at approximately $200.
- Program dates are July 6, 2015 to August 6, 2015
- Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled
Living on campus is highly encouraged during the summer institute. The program cost for students living on campus is $1550, which include everything but text books and the refundable housing deposit. Students interested in living on campus should:
- Complete the Mendenhall Housing Application
- Submit UST Immunization Form to Health Promotion & Wellness, 3800 Montrose Box#80 Houston, Texas 77006
- Sign the Residence Life Housing Contract (emailed to the student’s UST email account)
- Pay the $300 housing deposition, which is refundable.
- Note the move-in date of July 5.
*Students who choose to live on campus will be required to attend an additional orientation on Sunday, July 6.
Dr. Rebecca Dowden