Program the University Police Department number into your phone: 713-525-3888
On campus, dial ext. 3888
Personal Safety Tips
- Do not hesitate to call the University Police Department if something does not feel right; trust your instincts.
- If you are on campus working after hours, notify the University Police Department and keep your office doors locked. Officers will periodically check on you and can escort you to your vehicle, if desired.
- Do not carry unnecessary valuables (jewelry, cash, apparel, etc.). If you are confronted by any individual(s) demanding your property, turn over any items they demand. Your safety is more valuable than personal property.
- If possible, walk in groups of two or more. There is safety in numbers.
Vehicle Safety Tips
- Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicle.
- Make sure your windows are closed and the doors locked.
- When approaching your vehicle, have your car key in hand and ready.
- If you see anything suspicious, call Security.
Office Safety Tips
- Lock your office every time you leave, even if you will only be gone for a minute.
- Keep your purse, wallet and other valuables in a secure location such as a locked desk or filing cabinet. It only takes a few seconds for a theft to take place.
- Do not bring excessive amounts of cash to work.
- Do not leave cash unattended or in your office, especially overnight or over the weekend. Desks and filing cabinets are not secure enough for valuables.
- Protect your property by marking your valuables with a unique identifier.
- Never lend out your keys and immediately report any missing or stolen keys.
- Be alert and report any suspicious behavior or people loitering in your area.
- Immediately report the loss or theft of keys, equipment or valuables.
- All crimes should be reported.