|Music Theory/History Classes|
When: Saturday mornings, classes are held the first two Saturdays of each month beginning September 11, 2012 for the Fall 2012 semester and January 19, 2013 for Spring 2013 semester.
- Class I High School 8:30-9:25 am
- Class II Intermediate 9:30-10:25 am
- Class III Beginners 10:30-11:15 am
Where: Cullen Hall, Room 201
Who should enroll?
Students in grades 1 through 12 (divided into groups according to level)
To supplement private lessons through more in depth analysis of form, structure, harmony.
Appropriate study according to level: ear training, note reading, sight reading, intervals, rhythm, terms-all basics of music. Preparation for the Texas Music Teachers Association state theory tests and World of Music tests (music history).
call for fees 713-525-3566
"Music for Your Mind" explores three areas of music theory, assisting to develop students’ literacy in the language of music:
Share the News! Music is Intellectual Food!
- MELODIC READING Explore the music alphabet, staff, clefs, lines & spaces intervals and melodic patterns.
- RHYTHMIC READING Experience rhythmic patters, beats note and rest values, note value equivalents, dotted notes & rests, and time signatures.
- HARMONIC READING Immerse yourself in scale structure and degrees, key signatures, half& whole steps, chords and intervals and their quality.
- EAR TRAINING, SIGHT SINGING and MELODIC DICTATION is incorporated into each topic through age-appropriate activities for students at every level.
- THEORY TEST Age-appropriate Music Theory classes prepare students for the standardized Theory test in grades 1 through 12 and administered in the fall and spring. A workbook, practice tests and twice monthly Saturday classes help to ensure students’ success with the test.
- World of Music Fall and winter classes will also focus on composers and music eras to prepare for the standardized World of Music tests. Workbooks and practice tests provide material for study while classes reinforce concepts through lively, hands-on activities.
- Publication Contest Entering the Houston Music Teacher’s association Publication contest is an enriching activity for all school-age class participants. Essays written about a variety of music-related topics are submitted to distinguished judges for grading and can even be selected for state-wide competition. Many class members arte published winners. Most students are recognized with medals for their exceptional test scores.
- Composition Contest
Explore the fast paced, fun-filled musical activities with other musicians that lead to a real understanding of the music. Experience the theory behind the music as never before to enrich your private instrument instruction. Current classes feature pre-school, elementary school, high school, and college tutoring levels. Special needs students are welcome as full-participants.
Contact the director for placement level or additional class needs.
Please call for fees and more information: 713-525-3566