| Education Recognizes Scholars, Gives Awards |
The School of Education held its Annual Recognition Dinner to honor its best and brightest students with scholarships and awards on May 15 at Scanlan Room, Jerabeck Center. Dr. Dominic Aquila, the guest speaker, gave encouraging words to the students about their future.
Before the dinner, the Rev. Michael Buentello, CSB, officiated the GRACE Commissioning Mass at the Chapel of St. Basil for the graduates of the Gulf Region Academy for Catholic Educators program.
The graduating GRACE students are Ruth Bernay, Steven Cummings, Jacob Ramirez, Catlyn Ream and Sonny Vo.
- School of Education Annual Scholarship - Undergraduate
Jenni Banh, Virginia Hernandez, Allison Milam, Shirley Olivares and Audra Vaello.
- Strudler Family Scholarship
Danielle Barr, Carmen Tasaka, and Isabel Torras.
- The Ellen and Scipio de Kanter Dual Language Teacher Preparation Scholarship
- Robert Lee Frost Scholarship in Secondary Education
- Fondren Foundation Scholarship
- Kappa Delta Pi/Anna Dewald Scholarship Fund for Education
Members Amy Ryan Poerschke and Consuelo Yamaguchi-Mayorquin
- Mary Jean Lantz Memorial Scholarship
- Rev. Dennis Andrews, CSB, Graduate Scholarship for Catholic Educators
- School of Education Annual Scholarship - Graduate
- Tenneco Teacher Education Scholarship Fund
Mayra Izaguirre and Sandra Tapia Rojas
- Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas Pre-service Educator of the Year Award
- University of St. Thomas School of Education Outstanding Graduate
- Distinguished Action Research Study Award
Jamie Alam, Jessie Crandall, Edwin Crooks, Leticia Oseguera, Trevor Woolley and Deborah Zubia
The mentors and university supervisors came and supported the student teachers who taught in classrooms during 2013-2014. Student teachers were Gerardo Alanis, Danielle Barr, Carlie Bejarano, Patricia Bonnin, Lisette Cruz, Lauren Curley, Jacquelyn Distefano, Karina Flores, Meleesa Halling, Annemarie Howard, Jennifer Maldonado, Blanca Ontiveros, Mary Patton, Stephanie Paz, Meredith Smith, Janie Solis, Samantha Stankavich, Sarah Tamayo, Ana Torrents-Nomani, Cristina Villagomez and Peggy Wallace.