Campus News


Back to News Features
<< Return to News Features

Soccer Sums Up Road Games for Fans
UST SoccerThe University of St. Thomas men’s soccer team has been playing on the road for the past three weeks. With two wins and three losses, below is an update of each game the Celts played from Oct. 11 until the end of the season on Oct. 27.

Celts Struggle After Long Trip
Hitting the road after eight straight home games, the Celts played the University of the Southwest on Oct. 11 in Hobbs, N.M.  The trip was long, and the Celts struggled early in the match giving up a goal in the first five minutes.

The Celts gave up another goal in the 30th minute and headed into halftime down 2-0. UST created nine good chances on a goal before the break but could not convert. Within the first two minutes of the second half, Victor Falcon was fouled in the box and drew a penalty for UST. Sophomore Delano Foster stepped up and buried the ball in the back of the net to tally his fourth for the season.

Although the Celts were in control for most of the second half and created more scoring chances, the game ended 2-1 for Southwest. The Celts record fell to 3-8-1 on the season.

Rams Conquer Poor Celt Defense
The Celts continued their road trip heading to Fort Worth, Texas, to face a strong side from Texas Wesleyan University on Oct. 13. The Celts were on defense early and held strong until the 29th minute. A miscommunication between goalkeeper Jason Taffet and center back Foster resulted in the first goal for the Rams. Not long after, the Celts went down 2-0 after poor defending on a corner kick. The first half ended 2-0 for the Rams, and UST was only able to attempt two shots.

The second half was another sloppy defensive performance, and UST went down 3-0 after only three minutes of play. The Celts mustered four shots in the second half but never looked too aggressive. The Rams ended the day with a 4-0 win against the road-beaten Celts.

UST SoccerCelts Win in Second-Half Thriller
The Celts regrouped after some training and recovery. The team headed to Tyler, Texas, to face Texas College on Oct. 18. UST came out slow but built up speed as the half progressed. The Celts controlled most of the possession and had nine shots in the first half. The game went into halftime tied 0-0.

UST came out in the second half with more urgency. In the 75th minute against the run, Texas College scored on a powerful long-range shot that hit off the inside of the post to put Texas College up 1-0. In the 78th minute, freshman Irvinn Ramirez took a pass from Gio Andrande and placed a shot in the upper right corner over the Texas College goalkeeper from 24 yards out. Only six minutes later, Foster got the game winner with an assist from senior captain Gonzalo Nemi. The goal put UST up 2-1 to end the game. The Celts had 25 shots on the day and got its fourth win of the season.

UST Plays Strongest Offense of the Season
For the fourth game in a row, the Celts were on the road to play Bacone College on Oct. 20 in Muskogee, Okla. Both teams took time to warm up, and UST established control of the midfield. In the 33rd minute, Marcelo DoValle scored his first career goal after an assist from freshman Chris Natera, which was his ninth on the year. The Celts were caught off guard when Bacone equalized 1-1, minutes later. The half ended 1-1 with three shots for UST.

UST took more control of the game in the second half to register 13 shots, and the Celts pulled ahead in the last six minutes of the game. UST scored three goals in the final minutes of the match. In the 84th minute, Nemi scored his first goal of the year for the game winner. In the 87th minute, Ramirez scored his fifth of the season. In the 90th minute, Andrade put in the final shot of the game. The Celts ended strong with a 4-1 win and bolstered its strongest offensive showing this season to pick up a fifth win.

Goalkeeper Plays Well Amid Overtime Loss
The Celts ended its season with a road game on Oct. 27 in Longview, Texas, versus Wiley College. Both teams struggled to find good scoring chances early. The first half ended 0-0 with Wiley outshooting the Celts 9-5.

UST had more possession in the second half, but neither team could find the back of the net ending the half 0-0. The Celts had a few good chances but did not finish any of the eight shots. The game went into “golden goal” overtime. UST outshot Wiley 4-2 in the first overtime and still could not convert.

With only four minutes left in the final overtime, the Celts lost possession midfield and were caught out of position in the back when a long pass found a Wiley forward who lofted the ball over the charging Taffet to score. The goal put Wiley ahead for the win 1-0. In a disappointing loss, Jason Taffet had 10 saves.

UST ended its season with a conference record of 3-7-1 and an overall record of 5-10-1. The seniors are Gonzalo Nemi and Luis Bustos.

<< Return

<< Return to News Features