| Weekend Unites Family, Friends at UST |
Join the University of St. Thomas Office of Student Activities for Family Weekend on Oct. 19-21. The festivities will include music and drama performances, sports, games, a library book sale and free food.
On Oct. 19, families can attend classes with their student to get an insider’s look at a typical day at UST. Students should seek permission from professors to ensure space. Also, the Doherty Library will have a book sale throughout the weekend starting Friday.
The big attraction is St. Augustine’s Birthday Celebration and Carnival on Oct. 20. Hosted by the Office of Residence Life, St. Augustine’s birthday will have face painting, carnival games, food, prizes and more. Also, the Rev. Mike Buentello, CSB, director of Campus Ministry and Campus Chaplain, will smoke a pig on the Campus Life Mall for lunch.
Other weekend highlights are:
- First generation students and families can participate in a Meet and Greet at 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the Ahern Room, Crooker Center.
- The Fine Arts and Drama production, “Enchanted April,” will be performed at 8 p.m. on Oct. 19 and 20 in Jones Hall. Special ticket prices are available for non-UST audience members.
- The Alumni Relations Office will host the Deans’ Reception at 6 p.m. on Oct. 19 in Link-Lee Mansion.
- Dr. John Story, associate professor of management and marketing in the Cameron School of Business, will give a Faculty Presentation on how faculty research enhances student learning at 10 a.m. on Oct. 20 in the Ahern Room in Crooker Center.
- The UST women’s volleyball team will play the University of the Southwest at 1 p.m. on Oct. 20 in Jerabeck Gym. The game is free.
- Family Weekend Mass will be at 5 p.m. on Oct. 20 in the Chapel of St. Basil. Sunday Mass will also be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 21.
“UST appreciates the support that families provide their students, and Family Weekend gives us a chance to welcome them to campus,” said Director of Student Activities Angie Montelongo. “The weekend allows for students and families to remain connected to UST and feel a part of the larger campus community.
Montelongo said it’s an opportunity to support many departments and offices, such as Residence Life, Athletics, Fine Arts and Drama and others, while also socializing with other families and students. She said the weekend is filled with a variety of activities meant to attract all ages and we look forward to seeing our UST families.
Registration begins at 9 a.m. on Oct. 19 in Crooker Center. For more information and a full list of events, visit stthom.edu/calendar. Online RSVP’s are recommended but not required for you or your family to attend. For questions or to RSVP, contact Angie Montelongo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-525-3572.