Department (s): School of Nursing
Supervisor(s): Poldi Tschirch PhD, RN, BC
Location: UST Campus, School of Nursing Building
Schedule work session: 12- month contract to teach summer, fall, and spring semesters.
(During the day, evening and/or weekend hours may occasionally occur)
The University of St. Thomas (www.stthom.edu
), a private university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking experienced clinical faculty for their School of Nursing beginning no later than July 2013. The University enrolls more than 3,700 students with its main campus located in Houston's Museum District.
The School of Nursing is seeking creative, energetic and seasoned faculty members with expertise in Adult Health, Critical Care, Pediatric, Women’s Health and Psychiatric Mental Health nursing to be part of the campus-based undergraduate nursing program. The School is committed to a nursing philosophy and BSN curriculum framework centered on healing and holistic care.
Duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities will include classroom, simulation lab and clinical instruction, participation in curriculum development, establishing student clinical rotations with clinical partners, and advising students. This role requires sound clinical knowledge and skills and competence in teaching as evidenced by current clinical experience, clinical teaching and/or academic teaching, including experience with simulation in a nursing laboratory. Develop, revise and update curriculum in collaboration with nursing faculty, practice partners and students based on School of Nursing standards for curriculum, teaching methodology and outcome evaluation.
While building on a powerful legacy of Catholic nursing education, this program will focus on innovation and creativity to develop a curriculum that incorporates emerging best practices in nursing education designed to prepare graduates for the future of nursing. Creative education/practice partnerships, learning partnerships between teacher and student and innovative use of educational/simulation technology will be integral to program development and implementation. Faculty will participate in developing the emerging collaborative organizational model for SON governance.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to a holistic nursing philosophy/framework and the capacity to work collaboratively as part of an engaged teaching team with nursing faculty, colleagues from other disciplines and clinical partners.
Skill and Experience Requirements:
- A Master’s degree in nursing, PhD or DNP degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of teaching experience in a BSN program that reflect commitment to best practices in nursing education, or any equivalent combination of work and teaching experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of the position
- Current licensure as RN in the state of Texas, or eligibility for licensure is necessary
- Candidates must provide evidence of a commitment to teaching excellence, to the integration of a liberal arts education into the professional education of nurses at the BSN level and a willingness to support the tenets of Catholic higher education as articulated in Ex Corde Ecclesiae
- Additional requirements include experience with collaborative learning environments, teaching and relating to students from diverse academic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds
- Bilingual competence in Spanish and English will be considered an asset
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position.
Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to:
Ref: Nursing Faculty
University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer