UST HOSA Qualifies for Nationals
Members of the University of St. Thomas Health Occupations Students of America organization competed in the State Leadership Conference held in Galveston, Texas, from April 11-13. The chapter, advised by Dr. Elmer Ledesma, will advance to the HOSA National Leadership Conference in Nashville, Tenn., this summer from June 26-29.
Cecilia Dao, the 2012-13 historian and 2013-14 president-elect for the UST chapter, said the group is excited about nationals.
“We look forward to the continual networking among HOSA chapters from all over the country, great learning experiences and cherished memories to come,” she said.
The HOSA State Leadership Conference allows UST students to compete against other Texas post-secondary chapters of HOSA in several health science, health professions, emergency preparedness, leadership, teamwork and recognition categories ranging from biotechnology to sports medicine.
Competitive events include knowledge exams, practical skills performances, extemporaneous speaking and public service announcements. Through these events all health science education students and members of HOSA learn the importance of developing leadership and technical skill competencies required in the delivery of compassionate, quality health care. In addition to competitions, HOSA provides numerous scholarship and internship opportunities for students.
Several students placed on the state level:
- Jennifer Hoang and Marianne Tran – Second place in Career Health Display
- Sydnee Spruiell – First place in Clinical Specialty for Primary Care Physician
- Gina Duong and Jennifer Le – First place in CPR/First Aid
- Elizabeth Kuncewicz – First place in Dental Science
- Franklin Duong – Second place in Dental Terminology
- Syeda Hasan – First place in Epidemiology
- Brandon Marcella – First place in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Devi Hari and Branae Rollins – First place in Health Education
- Daniel Bui, Yussr Ibrahim, An Nguyen and Jackie Vu – First place in the HOSA Bowl
- Alessandra M. Reinoso – Second place in Human Growth and Development
- Alin Nguyen – Fourth place in Medical Math
- Joyce Chuen – First place in Medical Reading
- Sheila Rastegari – First place in Medical Spelling
- Jisha Jose – Third place in Medical Terminology
- Amber Ali – First place Nursing Assisting and National Recognition for Health Care Issues Exam
- Heather Skeen-Esterheld – Third place in Nutrition
- Cecilia Dao – National Recognition for National HOSA Week
- Amilda Medina – Sixth place in Pathophysiology
- Khanh Tran – Fourth place in Pharmacology
- Zoé Valdés Knippa – First place in Researched Persuasive Speaking
Ledesma, assistant professor in chemistry, is proud of the students.
“The HOSA chapter at UST is comprised of dedicated students who have strong academic backgrounds and an intense desire to have fulfilling careers in the healthcare field,” Ledesma said. “We consistently place in both state and national competitions. It is my hope that in Nashville this summer, we again continue our strong performances.”