|Dr. John Deely|
Department of Philosophy
Center for Thomistic Studies
- Ph.D., Aquinas Institute School of Philosophy, 1967
- M.A., Aquinas Institute School of Philosophy, 1966
- B.A., Aquinas Institute School of Philosophy, 1965
- 1999-present Professor University of St. Thomas Department of Philosophy and Center for Thomistic Studies
- 1976-99 Loras College, Dubuque, Professor.
1974-76 Saint Mary's College, South Bend, Associate Professor.
- 1968-9 University of Ottawa, Assistant Professor.
- 1967-8 St. Thomas University, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Assistant Professor.
- 1966-7 St. Joseph's College, Rensselear, Indiana, Assistant Professor.
- 6th expanded edition, 1st Chinese edition of Basics of Semiotics (forthcoming from Beijing: RenMin University Press).
- "In her own voice", preface to Susan Petrilli, Sign Crossroads in Global Perspective (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers) 2010.
- "The Unmasking of Objectivity", in History, Being and Singularity: A Festschrift in Honor of Kennth Schmitz, ed. Micahel Maur and Robert E. Wood (Washginton, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press) 2010.
- "The Essays in Paralipsis", in "Four Ages Special Issue" of Semiotica 178-1/4 (2010), guest-edited by Susan Petrilli and John Hittinger.
- "Realism and Epistemology", in Paul Cobley (ed.), The Routledge Companion to Semiotics (Routledge) 2010.
- "Postmodernity as the unmasking of objectivity: IDentifying the positive essence of postmodernity as a distinct new era in the history of philosophy", Semiotica 183 (February 2011), 31-57.
- "Semiotics Seen Synchronically: The View as of 2010", opening article for the journal Chinese Semiotic Studies vol.4, no. 2 (December 2010), 9-113.
- Semiotics Seen Synchronically: the View from 2010 (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Legas, 2010).
- Medieval Philosophy Redefined. The Development of Cenoscopic Science AD 354-1644 (from the birth of Augustine to the death of Poinsot), (Scranton, PA: University of Scranton Press), pp.xxxvii + 508.
- "Jeff Bernard, First Meeting and After", funeral address published in the Jeff Bernard Memorial Issue of The American Journal of Semiotics 26.1-4 (2010), guest-edited by Gloria Withalm, xi-xiii.
- "Theses on Semiology and Semiotics", developed in consultation with Jeff Bernard, in The American Journal of Semiotics 26.1-4 (2010), 17-25.
Recent Lectures & Papers:
- "The concepts of relation and relatedness in semiotics", invited plenary presented on 5 November to the 3rd Romanian Association of Semiotic Studies national conference held 4-7 November 2010 in Iasi, Romania.
- Postmodern Recovery of 'Person'," plenary presentation 14 May 2010 to the 13-15 May International Congress, "A Depersonalized Society? Educational Proposals", held at Universitat Abat Oliba CEU, Barcelona, Spain: publication of proceedings forthcoming.
- "From Person to Personality, From Root to Flower", plenary presentation at the 34th Annual Meeting of the American Maritain Association, 16 October 2010, at Walsh University, Canton, Ohio: publication of proceedings forthcoming.
- "Sebeok and Semiotics of the 21st Century", invited address presented on 12 November 2010 for the "Commemoration of Tom Sebeok on the Occasion of the 90th Anniversary of His Birth", 11-12 November 2010, sponsored by the New Bulgarian University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
Evolution, Human Nature, Role of Signs in Human Understanding and in Nature generally; Ancient Philosophy; Medieval Philosophy; Modern Philosophy; Meaning of “Postmodern” for global intellectual culture; Maritain, the Latin Thomistic Development between Capreolus and John Poinsot; the First Notion of “Being” in Aquinas; Heidegger; Relation of Language as species-specifically human to generically Animal Awareness