If a Minor Fire Appears Controllable:
- IMMEDIATELY contact Campus Security at 713-525-3888.
- If the fire is small enough to fight without endangering life, and if you have been trained, use a fire extinguisher appropriately.
- Promptly direct the charge of the fire extinguisher toward the base of the flame.
Campus security will determine when it is safe to proceed with regular activity.
If a Large Fire Appears Uncontrollable:
- IMMEDIATELY call 9-1-1.
- If possible, have someone else call Campus Security at 713-525-3888.
- Pull closest fire alarm before exiting.
- Evacuate the building – leave by the nearest exit.
- Do not use the elevators.
- For special assistance, see the section “People Requiring Special Assistance.”
Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a University official.
If Trapped Inside a Building with a Fire:
- Call 9-1-1, then Campus Security at 713-525-3888.
- Place an article of clothing outside of the window, if possible.
- Use the back of your hand to feel the closed door. Do not open if it is hot. If you cannot leave, use a wet cloth to seal cracks under the door and cover air vents.
- Stay close to the floor, where the air is less toxic. Hold your breath as often as possible and take shallow breaths through your nose. Use a filter to breathe into, such as a towel or shirt.
- If possible, move to a stairwell to wait for emergency personnel.
- Shout at regular intervals for help.