|As you get ready to begin your college career at the University of St. Thomas, consider starting early in our summer program – the Mendenhall Summer Institute. The Mendenhall Summer Institute is a five- week program for a select and limited group of incoming freshmen with proven academic abilities and involvement in co-curricular activities. This program allows students to start their college career early, in addition to having an opportunity to earn a grant for tuition at UST.
The Mendenhall Summer Institute has two separate tracks of study, each with 6 hours of college credit:
- Creating Engaged Learners & Thinkers (CELT) - CELT students receive challenging foundational courses in mathematics and English to prepare for college level critical thinking. This track will also introduce the rigor and rewards of a liberal arts education.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) – STEM is specifically focused on mathematics and scientific methods, and is designed for science, mathematics or engineering majors. Students with a strong initial commitment to these majors will receive course and lab experience to enhance their mathematical and problem solving skills that will lead to greater achievement in STEM specific courses.
A limited number of students selected from the Institute will receive a grant towards UST tuition. A selection committee chooses recipients based on their performance in the program as well as financial need. Students must fill out a FAFSA to be considered for the grant.
Support Outside the Classroom
The Institute will provide the skill building necessary to prepare students for the UST core curriculum and college learning. Students will participate in workshops in college success, learning and information literacy skills, regardless of track. Social activities will be provided to further enhance community building among all Institute students.
Who is Eligible?
Any freshman student who has been admitted to UST for the fall semester can request admission to the program.
Ideal candidates will:
Living on campus is highly encouraged during the summer institute. Students can live on campus for a discount of $500 for the duration of the program.
- Complete the Mendenhall Summer Institute Housing Application.
- Submit the $300 deposit, which will be returned at the end of the contract.
- Residence hall move in start at 12pm on July 5, 2014.
- Residence hall checkout before 10am August 9, 2014.
Costs and Dates
The nominal student fee of $750 for the Mendenhall Summer Institute covers course instruction, testing materials and daily lunch. Some limited financial aid is available to offset these costs. Books, parking and optional meal plans are available at additional costs.
- Program dates are July 7, 2014 to August 7, 2014
- Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled
Office of Admissions