University of St. Thomas Police and You, Partners in Prevention.
Memorize UST Police Department phone number: (713) 525-3888.
Residence Hall Safety
- Never prop open doors to Residence Halls. This breaches the security of the entire building.
- Lock your hall room door ANYTIME you leave. Most thefts and burglaries from rooms occur when the resident was “only gone a few minutes.”
- Report all suspicious activity to hall staff and to the UST Police Department.
- Do not overlook or minimize what you may perceive as any type of threat. Report it.
Personal Safety On/Around Campus
- Never jog or walk alone, especially after dark. Remember there is always safety in numbers.
- Jog or walk in well lighted areas only.
- Let someone know where you’re going and your time of return.
- Carry a cell phone with you when jogging/walking.
- Stay alert and stay aware of your surroundings.
- When approaching your vehicle, look underneath and around it prior to getting in, in order to ensure that no one is hiding near it.
- When late at night, or whenever needed, ask for an escort to your vehicle by a member of campus police. This is not an inconvenience for campus police and they are always willing to help. Call USTPD at (713) 525-3888.
- IF YOU ARE ATTACKED: kick/yell/scream/scratch/fight to avoid being taken away from the point of attack. Your chance of survival decreases drastically when taken away from the scene of attack.
- Secure and lock up your vehicle when not in use.
- Take all valuables (for example: Purses, IPods, money, GPS machines, etc.) out of vehicle.
Office Safety Tips
- Lock your office every time you leave, even if you will only be gone for a minute.
- Keep your purse, wallet and other valuables in a secure location such as a locked desk or filing cabinet. It only takes a few seconds for a theft to take place.
- Do not leave cash unattended or in your office, especially overnight or over the weekend. Desks and filing cabinets are not secure enough for valuables.
- Protect your property by marking your valuables with a unique identifier.
- Never lend out your keys and immediately report any missing or stolen keys.
- Be alert and report any suspicious behavior or people loitering in your area.
- If you are on campus working after hours, notify the UST Police Department and keep your office doors locked. Officers will periodically check on you and can escort you to your vehicle, if desired.
Remember: The best way to solve crime is to prevent crime.
Do your part in keeping our campus safe.
Report all suspicious activity to (713) 525-3888.
- UST Police Department call boxes, or Blue Lights, are located all over campus. Check out this map to find the Blue Lights closest to your classes and preferred parking area.
Automated External Defibrillators (AED):
- University of St. Thomas has AED located in select buildings on campus. Check out this map to find the AED closest to your classes and preferred parking area.