Nursing Admissions for Transfer Students and Students Seeking a 2nd Undergraduate Degree
- Next Start for Traditional BSN Program: Fall 2021
- Application Opens: Opens October 1, 2020
- Early Deadlines: March 1, 2021 and April 1, 2021
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
Nursing Admission Process
Transfer students and students seeking a 2nd Bachelor's degree should apply for UST’s nursing program through NursingCAS (nursingcas.org) only. All transcripts and required documents should be submitted through NursingCAS. Applicants may check their application status through their NursingCAS account.
Transfer students applying to Nursing should not complete the general UST application for admission. Only applications submitted through NursingCAS will be considered for transfer admission to the School of Nursing.
Minimum Requirements to apply and to be considered for the School of Nursing:
- 3.0 overall college GPA, based on a 4.0 scale
- 3.0 science GPA (including Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Microbiology, & Nutrition completed by submission of application)
- Submission of HESI A2 scores of 80% or above:
- Required Sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- The HESI A2 exam must be scheduled outside of UST. The department ID for UST is 200020.
- If a student has taken the exam for another school, these scores may accepted for UST as long as all required sections were taken. Scores must be uploaded through the NursingCAS application.
- Completion of most, if not all, coursework on the Transfer Guide.
- Submission of a well-written, personal statement demonstrating the student's passion for nursing as a career and vocation. Further details can be seen on NursingCAS UST Nursing page.
A strong candidate should meet all minimum requirements, plus:
- Grades of 3.5 or higher in nursing science courses
- Grade of 3.3 or higher in math courses
- Submission of HESI Admission Assessment:
- A score of 85 or higher in all sections: Math, A&P, Reading Comprehension, Grammar, and Vocabulary
- Additional academic factors may be also considered, such as patterns of withdraws or repeats, extracurricular activities and obligations, and other information the committee views as important.
Students admitted to the UST Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing will be subject to participation requirements established by healthcare organizations that host student clinical rotations. This includes criminal background checks, CPR certification and specific immunizations. These requirements may also include verification of identity and compliance with federal immigration law.
Our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program for transfer students, with prerequisites coursework completed, is 3 years.
Transfer students can apply with some classes in progress.
More questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions page!
Transfer Information Sessions
If you’re a transfer student who would like to learn about admissions requirements and meet with Nursing Admissions, we invite you to attend an upcoming information sessions.
Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) - for Students Seeking a 2nd Undergraduate Degree
There are three available start dates for students interested in applying to our ABSN program: January, May and August. Applications for this program are accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis. Our Second-Degree Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) is a 12-month program over three semesters.
Please review all application timelines, requirements and program details at: absn.stthom.edu