International students on campus at University of St. Thomas in Houston, TexasThe Office of International Services and Study Abroad supports international students as you strive to achieve your educational, professional, and personal success at UST.

We advise F-1 international students on visa and immigration policies and procedures.

You may apply for either with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and must have the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • Form I-20
  • Proof of residency for at least 30 days (rental agreement, utility bill, etc.)

Learn more about how to get a Texas driver's license or ID

You can only apply if you've obtained one of the following:

  • Paid on-campus employment
  • CPT authorization for paid employment
  • OPT authorization

​You'll need a support letter from our office before applying.

F-1 students are granted a 60-day grace period upon completion of their academic program, during which you must do one of the following:

  • Depart the U.S.
  • Apply for OPT if eligible
  • Receive a new I-20 for a new program
  • Change your immigration status

You only need a valid F-1 visa when you re-enter the U.S. after international travel(Canadian citizens are exempt from this requirement). If your F-1 visa is going to expire before your next planned re-entry to the U.S., please apply for a renewed F-1 visa at the U.S. consulate or embassy near you outside the U.S. If you are only travelling to Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island for 30 days or less, you may be eligible for an automatic visa revalidation instead of having to apply for a new visa. See details about that here: Automatic Revalidation (

In order to re-enter the U.S. after international travel, you must carry these items with you:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 (except for Canadian citizens)
  • Valid I-20 with a recent travel signature

You must visit our office at least 2 weeks before you depart the U.S. to obtain a travel signature on your I-20.

If you'll be traveling to a country that is not your home country, please consult your destination country’s embassy/consulate on their entry requirements.

Asian student in front of computer at University of St. Thomas in Houston, TexasAll F-1 international students will be automatically enrolled in the University's international student health insurance plan unless a student has obtained an approved waiver. After you register for classes, you will receive an email that prompts you to enroll in our university’s health insurance plan or submit a waiver request.

Insurance and Waiver Details