Residential Students Flu FAQ


The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is not recommending closing schools; however, the best advice for you at this time is to take personal precautions to keep yourself and those around you healthy by following these steps:

What can I do to prevent contraction of the flu?

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • Know the signs and symptoms of the flu.
If I am a residential student, how can I prepare?

  • Identify a buddy who can bring you food, medications, school assignments, etc.
  • Have a supply of food, water, juices and disposable tissues.
  • Compile phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses of family, friends and professors you would need to contact.
  • Maintain an adequate supply of clean clothes.

What if I have flu-like symptoms?

  • Residential students with flu-like symptoms who live within the greater Houston-Galveston metropolitan area should notify the Office of Residence Life and return home.

    Those from a greater distance should return to their dorm room, notify the Office of Residence Life (713-525-3836) and follow guidelines as advised by Residence Life.
  • Students who are ill should stay away from others for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever, or signs of a fever, without the use of fever-reducing medicines even if taking antiviral drugs.
  • Non-residential students with flu-like symptoms should go home, and do so in a way that limits contact with others as much as possible.  For example, travel by private car or taxi would be preferable over use of public transportation.
  • Students should make an appointment to see a physician. If you do not have a physician, you may call the University of Texas Health Services at 713-500-3248 to make an appointment.
  • Faculty and staff should contact their primary care physician.

What if I have a confirmed case of H1N1 flu?

  • Students should contact the University of St. Thomas Office of Health Promotion and Wellness at 713-525-3513.
  • If you are an on-campus resident, also contact the Office of Residence Life at 713-525-3836.
  • Please understand that it is the student’s responsibility to contact his/her professors if he/she is ill and will miss class.
  • Faculty and staff should contact their immediate supervisor.
ENS Quiz

Take the Quiz  

Would you pass or fail during an emergency? Take the quiz and find out.


Take the Quiz

Weather RSS


Update Contact Info

Update Contact Info  

Is your emergency contact information current with UST? Learn how to update your email, phone & text.

Learn More


ENS Emergency Notification System
Contact Us
University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose
Houston, TX 770066-4626
Phone: 713-525-3888
Contact Us
Contact Us
  University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose
Houston, Texas 77006-4626

Follow Us

Copyright © 2019 University of St. Thomas. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Clery Act | Report Sexual Misconduct | Title IX | Consumer Information