The Donald S. Nesti, CSSp Center for Faith & Culture brings the Catholic voice to the ongoing conversation about the meaning of life, and the liberty and pursuit of happiness we hold in common as Americans. The Center seeks to understand and affect the relationship between and among the many facets of the American way of life in relation to God’s ongoing, loving encounter with humanity. We educate faith-full citizens to be artisans of dialogue and proclamation in articulating a God-centered vision of the world and how that vision strengthens the institutions that govern us as a people.
Through its programmatic offerings the Center serves the local and regional Catholic, ecumenical and interreligious communities, our sister university communities, civic society, and various professional segments of our culture.
The principles and objectives of the Center for Faith & Culture are based on the following assumptions:
- God, who is Love, created the world through His Eternal Word, and desires that “all may be one.”
- The Incarnation of the Eternal Word enfleshes God’s mission to inculturate Divine Love in every humanly created way of life.
- The ministry of the Church is to establish a civilization of love and, as an expert in humanity, to foster one human culture, that of man for man in the glory of God.
- Nothing created takes precedence over the value and dignity of the human person.
- The human person is wired for relationships and life in community; it is through life in community that persons grow in authenticity and fullness of life.
- Inculturation is a process of bringing Divine Love in Christ to all strata of humanity.
- All cultures, being human creations, are in need of transformation in love.
- Through the power of Gospel love, “human criteria of judgment, determining values, points of interest, lines of thought, sources of inspiration, and models of life,” are affected and transformed.
- The message of salvation builds on human culture in an ongoing and prolonged fashion as is seen in God’s ongoing love for the world.