|Nursing Admissions for Transfer Students and Students Seeking a 2nd Undergraduate Degree|
The application deadline for the cohort starting fall 2018 has passed.
Next Start: Fall 2019
Application Deadline: June 1, 2019
Admission to the Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing is a two-part process:
- Step 1: Apply to the University of St. Thomas for the Fall 2019 semester
- Step 2: Apply to the School of Nursing: application opens February 1, 2019
Both applications and all required documents must be submitted by the June 1st deadline to be considered for admission. Admission into UST does not guarantee admission into the Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing.
Transfer students may submit both applications at the same time. Students waiting to receive a general admission decision for UST may still submit the nursing application and essay when ready.
You must meet the following requirements by the June 1st deadline to be considered for admission:
- All documents received for general admission to UST
- 3.0 overall college GPA, based on a 4.0 scale
- 3.0 science GPA (including Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Microbiology, and Nutrition)
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II complete
- At least 5 other pre-requisites complete. See Transfer Nursing Guide.
NO entrance exam required for admission!
Students are admitted to the School of Nursing by a Nursing Admissions Committee. The committee reviews all eligible applicants on a rolling basis once your UST and School of Nursing application is complete. A complete application for UST and the School of Nursing requires:
- A submitted UST application
- Transcripts from every college and/or university attended
- A submitted School of Nursing application (either online or via email as per directions)
- An essay which answers the prompt on the application and follows required formatting
|In addition to eligibility requirements, the Nursing Admissions Committee considers a number of other factors for potential students, including, but not limited to:|
- All grades for Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition (if complete)
- Math grades
- Full-time vs. part-time class load
- Patterns of repeats and/or withdraws
- Extracurricular activities and obligations
Students admitted to the UST Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing will be subject to participation requirements established by healthcare organizations that host student clinical rotations. This includes criminal background checks, CPR certification and specific immunizations. These requirements may also include verification of identity and compliance with federal immigration law.
Our Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a 4-year program. Transfer students with some or all pre-requisites complete may be able to graduate in as little as 3 years.
Transfer students can apply with some pre-requisite and core classes in progress. See our Nursing Admissions Coordinator, Cathy Ruhnke, to maximize credit toward UST’s nursing program.
More questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions page!