University of St. Thomas in Houston, Texas logo


Will I be able to enroll or attend classes if all the immunization requirements are not met?
No.  You will not be able to enroll or attend classes until immunization requirements are met.

What immunizations are required for admission at UST?
To be compliant with Texas State Law, ALL INCOMING students UNDER AGE 22 are required to have been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis within the last five years.  In accordance with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations, the bacterial meningitis vaccination must have been received at least after the student’s 16th birthday.

What if I am not living on campus, do I still need the immunizations?
If you are under the age of 22, all students must have been vaccinated for bacterial meningitis within the last five years prior to enrollment, regardless of where you live. The only exceptions are students 22 years old and older or if you do not take ANY classes ON CAMPUS.

What immunization records do I need to have if I live on campus?
Along with bacterial meningitis, you also need a record of Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) vaccination within the last 10 years, M.M.R. (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) two doses, and a Tuberculosis test. A test is necessary for all international students within the last 12 months.

What if I am unable to obtain my immunization records?
If you are unable to obtain your records or if your immunizations are out of date, you must be vaccinated again.  Your primary care physician can provide these, or the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness can recommend other locations to receive the necessary vaccinations.

Can I refuse to be vaccinated?
Declining vaccination must be submitted in one of the following two formats:
An affidavit or a certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United Stated in which it is stated that, in the physician’s opinion, the vaccination required would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student.

Or, an affidavit signed by the student stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief.  You must contact the Office of Health Promotion & Wellness for information regarding the exemption forms for reason of conscience.

Are my health records kept confidential?
Yes, all information is accessible only to the professional staff of the Health Promotion and Wellness Office and will not be released without written authorization of the student.  All files are kept strictly confidential in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.