- What role does the Office of Institutional Assessment and Effectiveness (OIAE) play in the course evaluation process?
The OIAE is the office that administers the course evaluations and provides functional support to the faculty.
- Are my IDEA course evaluations administered online or by paper?
As of fall 2016, all evaluations are being administered online. Faculty may access their Objective Selection Forms (OSF) and course evaluation reports through the following website: https://stthom.campuslabs.com/faculty/
- What credentials do I use to login to the IDEA course evaluations site?
Your credentials to login to the IDEA site, whether you are a faculty member or student, is your Celt ID and password. This is the same username/password that you use to login to your other UST services (myStThom, Blackboard, etc.).
Please note that the username is not your entire UST email address. For example, if my email address at UST was firstname.lastname@example.org, then my username would be testuser.
- What is the difference between the Diagnostic Feedback (Long form) and Learning Essentials (Short form) Instruments?
- The Learning Essentials Instrument has 18 questions and a comment section, with the option of you adding in your own additional custom questions.
- The Diagnostic Feedback Instrument has 40 standard questions and a comment section, with the option of you adding in your own additional custom questions.
- The Learning Essentials Instrument only captures Progress on the Learning Objectives and 3 extra questions that help to qualify student’s motivation and work habits, along w/ 2 overall questions for excellent teacher and excellent course.
- The Diagnostic Feedback Instrument includes all the questions on the Learning Essentials Instrument along w/ 1 additional student motivation question, 19 additional questions on the instructor, and 8 additional questions on the course.
- Am I supposed to use the Diagnostic Feedback (Long form) form or the Learning Essentials (Short form) Instrument for my course evaluations?
SEHS, SOT, and PSN have chosen to always use the Diagnostic Feedback Instrument. A&S and CSB faculty have the choice on which instrument they wish to use on each course. A survey is distributed those faculty at the beginning of each semester requesting their preference. Please see the ‘What is the difference between the Diagnostic Feedback (Long form) and Learning Essentials (Short form) Instruments?’ question for more information.
Please note: Once the evaluations are open for faculty to select their course objectives, they can no longer request a change to their form type (e.g., change selection from Diagnostic Feedback Instrument to to Learning Essentials Instrument).
- I donít know how best to fill out the OSF form. Where can I find more information on the learning objectives?
IDEA has an online video series that explains the learning objectives in more detail: IDEA - Notes on Learning
- I did not receive an email notifying me that my Objectives Selection Form (or a course report) was available for my course. Who is the best person to contact?
If you believe that you are not receiving any emails regarding your evaluations, please contact Dr. Siobhan Fleming (email@example.com) and she will be happy to assist you.
Fortunately, you are still able to fill out your OSFs or view reports as they are available even if you did not receive an email. Just log in here using your Celt ID and password: https://stthom.campuslabs.com/faculty/
- My response rates are not as high as I would like. What can I do to improve them?
Both IDEA and Campus Labs offer some tips on improving response rates. Please use the links below to see if any of these tips might be applicable for your course(s):
IDEA - http://www.ideaedu.org/Resources-Events/Support-For-Current-Clients/IDEA-SRI-Powered-by-Campus-Labs#1033493-administering-your-survey (See the 'Increasing Reponse Rates' section.)
Campus Labs - http://courseevaluationsupport.campuslabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204025288-Improving-Response-Rates
- I donít know how to interpret my IDEA results. Where can I find information on interpreting results?
The best guide for interpreting your results may be found on the IDEA website: IDEA - Using Your Feedback
- When will I receive my evaluation results?
Evaluation reports will be available to faculty shortly after grades are posted. You will receive an email notifying you when they have become available.
- How will I receive my results?
Once results for course evaluations are ready for you to access, they will be available to you though the following website: https://stthom.campuslabs.com/faculty/
This is the same website you use to fill out your Objective Selection Form (OSF).
- I am an administrator that needs to see other faculty reports. How do I access these reports?
If you are a dean, program director, chair, or other admin that needs access to evaluation reports in your department (other than your own reports), please use the following link:
Once you log in, there will be a 'Reporting' tab available where you can search for course reports. A guide to this feature may be found here:
NB: This feature is only accessible if you have been granted the proper security to view additional faculty reports. Administrative access to these reports is granted by the Dean of each school as needed. If you need access to school-wide or department-wide reports, please ask your Dean to send a request to OIAE.
- Iím still confused. Are there any resources that will help me understand how these IDEA course evaluations work?
Both IDEA and Campus Labs have online resources for faculty. See the IDEA Resources section at the top of this page for links.
Alternatively, IDEA has a special page that contains upcoming webinar events along with previously recorded webinars of various course evaluation topics that may be of interest to you: http://www.ideaedu.org/Resources-Events/Webinars
Still have questions? Please Dr. Siobhan Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be happy to assist you!