Protect yourself from malicious software malware!
Malware – malicious software; software designed to infiltrate and damage a computer system without the user’s informed consent. Malware includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses and also spyware, programming that gathers information about the computer user without permission.
What should I do to defend against malicious software or malware?
- Use strong, secured passwords.
- Change passwords to all linked account from a different device.
- Install and update antivirus & anti-malware programs on your devices.
- Put a malware and antivirus scanner on your mobile device (if option is available).
- Keep your firewall turned on.
- Exercise caution when downloading files from the Internet.
- Be aware of free downloadable apps and software. Always research the publisher of an app and review comments.
- Be cautious of large email attachments.
- Don’t open spam email messages or click links on suspicious websites.
- Consult your service provider for advice.
- Take it to a professional.
- Alert family & friends of potential texts
- Disable mobile devices until it’s been serviced.
If you have any issues or questions regarding malware, please contact IT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional malware information, go to our IT Security website.
How to: Avoid and remove Facebook malware.
Find out how you can avoid spamming your friends or infecting your computer by tightening your Facebook security.