University of St. Thomas in Houston, Texas logo

PassportUST ID

Every student must have a UST ID card. For information on how to obtain your UST ID card, visit Student Affairs Services.

Texas ID/Driver’s License

Apply for a Texas ID or driver’s license at any Department of Public Safety (DPS) office. You will have to take a test that includes testing your vision (bring any eyeglasses), a written test and a driving skills test. To begin, you should acquire a Texas Driver’s Handbook to study. Visit the DPS website for more detailed information. Plan to spend a couple of hours at the DPS office for this process. You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • UST I-20
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • Proof of residence – you must have been in the state of Texas for at least 30 days in order to apply for a Texas Driver’s License or State ID.

As of September 2011, F and J visa holders are no longer required to submit a letter of good standing from the University.

The closest DPS office to UST is:

12220 South Gessner
Houston, TX 77071                                

Social Security Number

Federal regulations require F and J visa holders to have a job in order to apply for a Social Security number. This means you must have an on-campus job or authorized work via CPT/OPT. You can apply for a Social Security number at a Social Security office. You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Letter of employment/offer letter from employer
  • Letter from the OISSS
  • UST I-20
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94 (paper or electronic version)

The closest Social Security office to UST is:

8989 Lakes at 610 Dr. 
Houston, TX 77051

When you receive your Social Security card in the mail, it is important to keep it in a safe place and do not carry it on your person.